Saturday, January 22, 2011

Face to face with Tweety Bird!

... And so to Facebook. If it wasn't for the Web 2.0 training I would never have set up a Facebook account. I am far too busy living life "offline" to be bothered going "online"! I'm not even motivated to log on. I'd rather be getting my washing done than engaging socially via Facebook. (the washing won't do itself!) In the good old days "online" was where we hung our clothes to dry!
So on a personal level I bid farewell to Facebook. However, given that Facebook is the largest social networking site in the world today, it is a different story on a professional level. Public Libraries are by their very nature social and inclusive places and thus need to be socially interactive and responsive. If 500 million people are "connecting" through Facebook then Libraries need to be involved. I think Lawley's logic as to why Libraries need to be using Facebook is excellent. (See: lawleyonline ).

Tweety.png
Tweet: "I did see a puddy tat!"

And now to Twitter - defined as a source of instantly updated information on an incredibly wide range of topics. My first ever Twitter search ("Public Libraries") led me directly to these two gems:
Tweet 1: "Long live Public Libraries" and Tweet 2: "Thank God for Public Libraries". Thus making my first experience of Twitter very positive indeed.
The links I came across were also very useful. The second one I followed was for Education Services Australia (http://www.schools.edna.edu.au/) where I discovered that 2011 is the Year of the Bat, the 15th Jan was Wikipedia Day and it's the Chinese New Year of the Rabbit (commencing 3rd Feb). I also found that May is Jelly Baby Month, 1st May is Mother Goose Day, 21st May is Loud Shirt Day and that National Simultaneous Story Time is on the 25th May this year and the nominated book is Feathers for Phoebe by Rod Clement. There is even a Wee Week (18 - 24 July). The theme for CBW in 2011 is 'One World, Many Stories'.  September has a Roald Dahl Day (the 13th) and a Talk Like a Pirate Day (the 19th). In November, the 19th is World Toilet Day, the 25th is Buy Nothing Day and the 30th is Computer Security Day. All good stuff to know for forward planning.

2 comments:

  1. Very cute how you linked in Twitter with Tweety bird!
    You're following some interesting links on Twitter..am making note of them as I type this..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is Tweety copyrighted? "One world many stories" a promising theme but perhaps a little SBS?

    ReplyDelete